I have a BSc in Biology (University of the Philippines Cebu, 2009) and an MEng degree in Marine Environmental Engineering (MMU, South Korea, 2012). My primary research interest is the ecophysiology of phytoplankton; particularly, how their functional role as primary producers in the aquatic food web and as regulators in biogeochemical cycle are influenced by the varying environmental factors, e.g. light quality, nutrient availability, vertical mixing and stratification, and predation.
In my Master’s thesis, I investigated the dynamics of phytoplankton photophysiology and primary productivity in an altered river estuary in a temperate region over an annual cycle using instantaneous and in situ measurements using Fast Repetition Rate Fluorometry (FRRF). I also identified factors that influence the variability of photophysiological variables and primary productivity in a turbid river estuary. My recent research works include the pattern of phytoplankton community structure in coastal areas affected by anthropogenic activities, i.e. water pollution and oil contamination.
PhD title: The interactions of multiple environmental stressors and their influence on the physiology and ecology of harmful bloom forming algae
I will investigate how synergistic and antagonistic interaction of multiple climate change stressors (i.e. warming, ocean acidifications, eutrophication etc) can influence the ecophysiological and evolutionary responses of HAB-forming phytoplankton under the supervision of Dr Etienne Low-Decarie (University of Essex). I will conduct laboratory experiments to investigate the photosynthesis, food uptake, and growth of bloom forming phytoplankton in different growth conditions. Experimental evolution will be employed as the approach to investigate whether phytoplankton can evolve over a few hundred generations in response to specific environmental drivers and to quantify the fitness gain and changes in traits of the evolved populations. Individual and combined effects of the changes in environmental variables on the phytoplankton ecophysiology, clonal and genetic diversity will be carried out to investigate synergistic and antagonistic interactions of these stressors. Lastly, through experimental and modelling techniques, a new model will be developed to predict how climate-driven genotypic and phenotypic changes in the phytoplankton community structure affect its role to provide food to organisms at the higher trophic level.
- Edullantes, B and R Galapate. 2014. Embryotoxicity of Copper and Zinc in Tropical Sea Urchin Tripneustes gratilla. Science Diliman 26(1): 25–40.
- Short-term Monitoring of Coral Reef Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in the Municipality of Liloan, Cebu, Central Visayas. UP Cebu Creative and Research Grants 2014.
- Assessment of phytoplankton abundance, species composition and diversity in oil spill-affected Calawisan Bay in Lapu-Lapu, Cebu. UP Cebu Creative and Research Grants 2013.
- Edullantes, B, and YS Sin. 2015. Climatological mixed layer dynamics and its impact on phytoplankton biomass in an altered river estuary. International Conference on Biodiversity, Ecology and Conservation of Marine Ecosystem 2015 (BECoME 2015). June 1 to 4, 2015. School of Biological Sciences, The University of Hongkong, Pok Fu Lam, Hong Kong.
- Edullantes, B. 2015. Patterns of net phytoplankton community in oil spill affected sites in southern coast of Mactan Island, Cebu. UP Cebu Creative Works/Research Grants Presentation. March 4, 2015. University of the Philippines Cebu Union Building, Cebu City, Philippines.
- Edullantes, B, YS Sin and KH Shin. 2011. Assessing Phytoplankton Primary Production by Comparing Estimates from Fast Repetition Rate Fluorometry and 13C Technique. The Korean Society of Oceanography 2011 Conference. November 3-4, 2011. Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Edullantes, B, S Sangutan and M. Pocong. 2015. Preliminary post oil spill assessment of phytoplankton community structure, biomass and primary productivity in Calawisan backwaters, Lapu-lapu City. 27th Annual Heinrich Schoenig Biology Symposium. March 14, 2015. CAFA Theater, University of San Carlos, Talamban, Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines.
- Edullantes, B, J Malazarte and YS Sin. November 2014. Patterns of climatological mixed layer and critical depths in Youngsan river-estuary. The Korean Society of Oceanography 2014 Conference. Jinhae, Republic of Korea.
- Edullantes, B and YS Sin. 2012. Role of vertical mixing on phytoplankton productivity in a turbid river estuary. The Korean Society of Oceanography 2012 Conference. May 31 to June 1, 2012. Daegu, Republic of Korea.